Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Still, the Hobbler

Well, the trip to the doctor yesterday was rather disappointing. I am most certainly not in a walking cast right now. Nor am I slated to be so any time in the near future. In fact, it looks like I still have at least another three weeks of crutches--cause that's when I see the doctor again.

To be honest, I was quite bummed out. My doctor may be a great surgeon, but his bedside manner is a little lacking, and I went away feeling worse than when I showed up. In retrospect, I guess I shouldn't complain, since my Xrays showed that I'm healing in normal manner, and the doctor wasn't concerned with anything, and I've now got official permission to put "a featherweight" on my foot.

Still... I really, really wanted to be off the crutches. For one thing, the muscles in my left hand were cramping up on Monday night, making it really painful to hobble along, as well as more technically difficult. And although that's gone now, it's just another reminder of how much I wanted to be rid of those things.

However, having gotten over the annoyance, I'm back to what passes for normal, and since nothing in my life has changed... there's really nothing to report about it. Well, I did go shopping today. I had to for some necessities, like deodorant, that it's dangerous to be caught with. It has also been glorious having food that I don't have to trundle to the cafeteria for.

It was a somewhat annoying procedure, though, bringing a plastic bag in my pocked, and having it dangle off the side of my crutch where it was wrapped around my hand, swinging backwards and forwards, and wrapping around the crutch, being generally annoying and throwing my balance off. It also won't work with anything big, so here's hoping I don't need to go out and buy a desk or something...

And... that's my life.

On an unrelated note, an interesting fact about myself revealed itself to me today in the great thinking chamber that is "commercial breaks". Basically, I realised that I have almost opposite email/telephone habits. With the former, the emails I'm most tardy to write/reply to is anything official. I put off writing the city about rerouting my ambulance billing for a week.On the other hand, most emails personal tend to get replied to or written post-haste.

Telephones, on the other hand, are objects I am loathe to dial. It's not that I mind talking, but I hate dialling, for some reason. I guess it's my allotted phobia. Anyway, if it's something that I have to do, like phone back the registrar's office, or call the garage about booking my car it, I can do it--and I'll do it fast just to get it out of the way. But if it comes to anything personal... I'm generally a putter-offer, even in replying.

Anyway, I suppose there's nothing groundbreaking about that... but it amused me to note at the time.

No comments: