Yeah, that's right... I have a stick with notches for my broken leg. The thing has completely reorganised my life, so why not? I just wish I could do a countdown until when I can walk normally, but the doctor didn't give me an estimate. Actually... I never saw the surgeon, and I barely saw the other doctors who stopped by to see how I was doing. Maybe a total of fifteen minutes--maybe--over three days and three doctors, including being discharged.
I'm hoping that's one of the things I'll find out on Tuesday at my check-up next week. I'll also be getting my staples out then, though I have the option to go to any doctor in the few days before and have them removed if they're bugging me. I'll probably just wait out of timidity's sake... a few extra days shouldn't bother me. Mind you, just because they haven't itched or anything yet doesn't mean that they won't in the days to come.
Of course, a big chunk of those "few days beforehand" is weekend, and most doctors I'm aware of don't have office hours during those days. Besides, I'm going back to Olds for my sister's First Communion, which will, if nothing else, keep me rather busy.
(Shameless aside: I'm not looking forward to being home for the sake of home--it's going to be a madhouse with the visitors and bustle, and the house is definitely less conducive to crutches than the seminary is--stairs or no. I am, however, looking forward to a healthy dose of sympathy at church.)
Busy seems to be the key to keeping my spirits up. Or driving.
I went driving yesterday for the first time, just up to get my bloodwork done, and I went into St. Albert again today to pick up more meds (I was running low on those oh-so-dangerous OTCs of acetaminophen and ibuprofen). It felt good, both times, just to get out of the house--on my own--and go somewhere. The fact that it was raining today, far from making it worse, simply made it better, in spite of the wet, because it was just another sign of LIFE. Besides, I love the smell of the rain, and provided I don't soak and chill the bones (Alberta rains rarely, if ever, feel warm), the sensation of being IN the rain is cool too.
The Archbishop's installation last night was similarly good, at least for getting me out of the seminary. It was, I'm afraid, a bittersweet moment for me, watching all the Edmonton seminarians serving--without me. And I was only told, in seriousness, that I could have been in alb sitting with them, doing nothing, AFTER the fact.
It would have been better to have said nothing.
Mind you, I had a decent seat and a decent view, and I was able to steal two chairs in a basilica that was standing room only, and not even much of that.
Getting out of bed is still the worst experience of my day. I do NOT like that initial blood-rush to the big bruise on the top of my swollen foot. I don't think the bruise is my doing; that is, I don't think it's a result of the initial break. It's probably from the surgery, I'm thinking... and it's the REAL reason I'm on Tylenol. Going from eight hours of elevation to straight-down bloodflow while I'm on crutches does NOT seem to agree with it.
I really can't wait until I have an approximate date of being able to walk again... If its 8 weeks, then I can start thinking in terms of "rounding up, it's now two weeks, which is one quarter done...". And, really, that's rather depressing.
Having the best day so far, though... Can't really say I've had a bad round of pity-partying yet today, which is a sure sign of recovery, I imagine.
Wednesday, May 02, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment