Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Keeping Busy? Not a Problem

Yup... those sentiments of my last post are rather outdated-feeling at the moment, considering that I've been busy enough the last five days that I haven't blogged. I spent most of my weekend getting to Olds for my youngest sister's First Communion, and then getting back to the seminary.

I left for my aunt and uncle's on Saturday, spent the night there, and went up to Olds with them on Sunday morning. Sunday lunch, afternoon, and supper was a whirlwind day of family and church, finally ending with driving back north with my aunt and uncle, and spending another night at their place.

It was good to get home. I've been feeling a lot more like "Michael" the last few days. According to Dad, I'm sounding like him again too. Which is good, because today's visit to the doctor suggests that I'll be on crutches for another three weeks... if not longer. And right now, that isn't exactly what I think of as good news. True, I'm getting better and better with them, and stronger... but the insides of my armpits are starting to feel as though they're being rubbed raw.

So yeah, anything that makes me feel chipper is probably a good idea. And my second trip of the day didn't quite qualify. In a nutshell, I went to Concordia and completely sorted out all the paperwork for my deferred exams. As far as I'm aware, all I have to do is go in and write the things. Therein, however, lies the lack of potential unchipperness--who WANTS to write exams? I'll be happy to have them done, but I'm irked that I have to do them at all.

Still, it'll keep me busy over the next few days. And keeping busy is something I'm more interested in than ever. I so desperately want time to speed up and pass by. I'm not really depressed about the broken leg anymore... but I'm getting a little restless, and those crutches aren't fast enough to keep up with that restlessness, and they are so much more WORK! A couple of times now, and more, I've been sitting at the table or in the theatre, or somewhere, and my leg has been resting on the ground... and I just want to stand up on it. It feels SO much like I could, like it's just fallen asleep... but I've bumped it a couple times, and light as those times were, it was more than enough to remind me that, no, I can't walk. At all.

Speaking of the theatre, though... yesterday night the seminary went to Spiderman 3. Ah... yesterday night was a beautiful night. After a week and a half of being a quiet, reclusive seminary, a night of camaraderie and late-night snacking was perfect. It's why I preferred, deep down, to stay in the seminary rather than go home.

Spiderman was good. At least as good as its predecessors, and I would say more so. And considering that I enjoyed both of the earlier ones, I clearly enjoyed myself. However, that we went to the early showing, and there remained four hours of food, drink, and conversation back at the seminary.

Of course, the community has by this time been whittled down to a handful of guys, and the priests (and not all of them), but there's still enough to have a good party--and last night we did, despite Fr. Shayne getting his finger slammed in the car door and needing a couple hours to deal with the pain. Poor man-- and it was his right index finger, of all fingers. Of course, this makes the second accident/crisis in three weeks, mine being the first, after a year of nothing of the sort. If these things really do come in threes, one wonders who'll be next...

No comments: