Friday, June 01, 2007

"Lay Ecclesial Ministry"

Today, instead of working, I attended a workshop (erm... I think that's what it was...) for "Lay Ecclesial Ministers", which apparently is becoming the preferred term for a broad range of people who serve the church while not being ordained or having taken vows. Specifically, this was for those who are employed by the Church as such, and thus was a collection of various Pastoral Associates, Secretaries, Youth Ministers... and whatnot.

I, although technically a layman, was not really there because I fit the above description. I was there because my boss, as Archivist, was attending on and off in order to educate these parish workers as to the care and preservation of various old churchy artefacts, as well as taking in the talks. I was encouraged to do the same if I wanted, and I did. I originally only intended to be there for the first bit, prayer with the Archbishop and the first talk. I ended staying all day, mainly because it was more interesting than work, and less work.

The talks focused, basically, on the identity and the vocation of being a lay ecclesial minister, as opposed to just employees, on the spiritual side of serving the church as an employee, and not just the functional side.

In an educational sense, it was good for me I suppose insofar as it makes me aware of a facet of what my life will be like as a priest, since these are the sorts of people, if not the very people, I'll be working with most of my life, and it highlighted some of the ways to make that as smooth a relationship as possible.

It felt weird being there, though, considering that I'm a seminarian. It's not that I felt unwelcome, but I definitely had a sense of being apart. It's natural, I suppose, since it was for the people who work and collaborate with priests--but who are NOT priests or religious. Whereas I, on the other hand, am aiming at being one of said priests.

I don't know... it was a bit odd. Good, certainly, but odd.

One exercise they put us through, that I think my table at least got a lot out of, was pinpointing what our gifts are. Gifts, in this case, being defined as things that we naturally ARE, things that don't take any effort, but just come naturally, as opposed to Talents, things that we can learn or develop. (While there is some overlap, an example here would be the difference between being musical and being able to play the piano. The first is a gift, which comes with who someone is. The second is a talent, developed over time.)

It was very interesting, sitting there with a table of people I'd never met before that morning, being able to pick out some of the gifts these people have, right away. It's amazing how some things are immediately apparent. With me, I was told that I give the immediate impression of honesty. Most of the table agreed that I gave the impression of "he'd be a good seminarian" before they met me and learned I'd be a priest. One said that I had a nice smile (perhaps the comment I found most surprising). I guess I'm also really good at reading people....

I think the whole table was flattered at the gifts picked out for them; I know I was with mine. Within the wider context of why we were figuring these things out, it came down to trying to figure out if our jobs are ones in which our gifts, and not just our trained talents, are being utilised--because those are the jobs where you'd be happiest.

Well, thinking over my own gifts, I came up with this list (which is neither necessarily comprehensive, or necessarily accurate): I'm mature, I love knowledge, I love being around people, I'm not a polarising character (people may not care for me, but I don't think I inspire hatred or strong dislike). According to Fr. Marco, I'm a leader. I'm not entirely sure, but I have reason to think that I'm easy to confide in. I know I'm good at keeping things to myself. I was told I'm good at reading people.

Are those gifts that I could exercise as a priest? I think so. Is that a good sign? Definitely.

I'm really inclined to think that, in the cosmic scheme of things, the reason for me to have attended the whole thing today was to reaffirm my vocation. Really, it boosted my spirits like you can't imagine being told I seem like a perfect fit for a seminarian, and that I'll be a good priest.

No comments: