So...
I SHOULD be studying. I have my Sociology final tomorrow. And seeing as I haven't had a Sociology class in four weeks less a day, it'd probably be a good thing to brush up on it a bit.
Except... I hate studying. I hardly ever study.
This is nothing new.
Instead, I'll ramble about yesterday, which was a markedly better day than today, though today isn't so much bad as it is "empty". Meaning that, give it another week, and there will be nothing to remember of today beyond the TV shows I watched... if even those. The big news today is that the seminary/college lawns are being mowed, and that awesome smell of fresh cut grass is wafting in through the open windows.
Now, it is certainly true that yesterday did not involve anything of great productivity. I slept in until 10:00, and then did nothing about school, work, accommodations, or health. I spent my evening in the normal fashion--watching Stargate and then whatever came on TV. (Seriously, I've watched more TV in the past three weeks than in any three weeks in my life, no contest.) In between waking up and the TV, however, I had one of the most enjoyable days I've had since breaking my leg.
A part of the enjoyment stems from the fact that it wasn't too strenuous. For example, Sunday was an awesome day, going home and being around family, and probably had more heightened emotions than yesterday, but it was draining. It was LONG. Yesterday, on the other hand, involved just enough activity and getting out the regular routine to be a good time, but not so much as to wear me out completely.
What was I doing? Well... not much, really. I met Sierra at Chapters, and soaked in the atmosphere of literature for an hour or so, then we adjourned to my car where she had left stuff three weeks before, when we supposed to be having lunch, but were actually experiencing my broken leg. Following this reunion of owner and goods (and the removal from my car of a three-week old banana), we went for lunch, much as we should have on April 21st, with the main difference being that we actually got there. Otherwise, the particulars were shockingly similar, such as the fact that I started driving without either of us knowing where we were going, which had the repeat effect of ending up in a rather different part of the city than intended.
However, we actually did have lunch. And a little driving around was probably just as well, since it meant that we avoided the Lunch Hour proper, which is more than busy enough. Lunch was a drawn-out affair, with plenty of time taken in the ordering, the eating, and then the drinking after the eating (non-alcoholic beverages--I was driving anyway). Then it was back northwards (in which direction the seminary lies anyway, so hardly out of my way) to drop Sierra off at the University.
It was hardly an "exciting" day, by normal standards. But by broken-leg-laid-up standards... it was akin to high adventure. Even before I made it to Chapters, I was enjoying myself simply because I took the long way getting there, and thus saw roads and parts of the city I haven't seen in months (because I never have cause to go that way). One thing I'm definitely noticing about this broken leg is that I LOVE driving. I mean, I enjoyed driving before... but now I love having any excuse to get out and go. Part of it, I'm sure, is just the change in surrounds, but I think there's also a lot to be said for the freedom of it. When I'm driving, I have exactly the same mobility as I would driving with two fixed legs. For the duration of the drive, I can pretend I'm back to normal.
Of course, a few hours of good conversation is a rare treat in any circumstances, and it would have been worth doing in most conditions. Not that the conversation was epic--conversation rarely is. There were no grand discussions of theology or philosophy to change the course of someone's view on the cosmic matters of the universe. Nor need there have been. Enjoyable conversation is more the stuff of literary taste and personal anecdotes, of little witticisms and in-jokes. It's not so much about WHAT is said, but the SAYING it.
It was, in any event, an enjoyable afternoon. And, in the grand scheme of things, it was another day to check off the calendar. Which means, if I get through today, that I'll pretty much be occupied into next week. Tomorrow, of course, is the Sociology final and in the afternoon I have an appointment at the Pastoral Centre towards the possible acquisition of a job for the summer. Between the two, that'll hopefully be adventure enough for one day--though it also means that I'll be back at the seminary at about 2:30 or 3:00, and out of stuff to do.
Saturday I'll study a bit for my History final (erm... or maybe not...), meet a prospective seminarian for next year at Fr. Shayne's request, and give him the low-down on going to Concordia. Once that's done, either before or after supper, I'll take off for Olds, and spend the night there.
Sunday, of course, is Mother's Day, which is why I'm going back to Olds. Time spent in Olds will occupy me well, and then it'll be back up to Edmonton that afternoon/evening so that I get a good night's sleep before my test Monday morning.
And then Monday is the test... and then what? I'm busy enough, I guess, to occupy me well enough until Monday Noon... but then my slate is wiped clean. The job, if I get it, doesn't appear to start until the week after, Tuesday the 22nd, following the Long Weekend.
Hmm... anybody in Edmonton next week with nothing to do?
Thursday, May 10, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment