Saturday, May 19, 2007

Michael A. Joosten, Assistant Archivist

Can you tell that having a new job is doing me a world of good? Due to the fact that I'm not sitting around doing nothing all day, I'm not blogging near-daily as I was. And this despite the fact that I've probably got more things to write about than before.

First of all, there's all the stuff pertaining to the job. Archival work is clearly right up my alley. Never mind that all I'm doing is resorting the parish records from three places into one, I'm enjoying myself immensely, and gaining a wealth of knowledge about the Archdiocese and its workings and parishes. Indeed, when this job is over, I'll probably be the most knowledgeable seminarian in the diocese with regards to the history of the priests and parishes.

A lot of the stuff is the same, from parish to parish, but occasionally there's something that is just really cool. Most notably so far is the letter written in the sixties the Holy Rosary parish file--the Polish parish--from Karol Cardinal Wojtyla, the later Pope John Paul II, and signed by him. His signature was instantly recognisable as being the same handwriting as his signature, years later, on the papal document hanging on the seminary wall.

Well, I was impressed anyway.

But, I love paper and things to do with paper. I love the different types of paper used over the years, the different typewriters, the different handwritings, the different signatures (I swear, I'll be able to recognise the signatures of our archbishops on sight when this is done). I've always been a paper packrat, which you can blame on instinct well fertilised by Tolkien (the accounts in the HoME of his different drafts and paper-saving tendencies fell on a highly impressionable mind).

I wish my printer was working...

And no, you probably don't want to know why.

No comments: