So, I'm back to being employed--employed with a paycheque, that is. Technically, I suppose I was/am an Archdiocesan employee already, since (as noted on Facebook and elsewhere) I always take the Alberta Blue Cross employee health plan with the Archdiocese as evidence. But I don't get paid for that...
Anyway, I can't say that the Archival job is likely to be particularly thrilling. I don't think I'll hate it--I don't yet-- and I think I'll enjoy learning tonnes about the Archdiocese and its history. I'm also fairly confidant I'll get to like knowing the ins and outs, and the people, of the Pastoral Centre. I like knowing the Who's Who of the Church.
Still... it's not exactly a happening social scene, and the Archives is probably close to being the quietest part of the building. Not that this bothers me on the job... but I really need to plan my evenings/weekends better. Which is already partly taken care of, weekend-wise anyway. I've got nothing this coming weekend--the long weekend, at that--or the weekend following. However, in June I've got at least three weekends taken care of already, between ordinations, grads, and weekings, and I could probably fill up all five without difficulty. July has at least one ordination, and by then I'm really hoping I'll be walking again.
In the immediate future, though (and by "immediate future" I mean "this week"), and during the week in general, I'm staring down the barrel of evenings as quiet as my days. This week may be worse than others, since I'm still in the seminary. Actually, I'm not so much in the seminary as I am in limbo. I'm finally finished exams, so I'm out of academic limbo, and I'm on the job, so I know where that's going, but in terms of residence, I'm in limbo, and with the priests on their retreat in Jasper, I'm not likely to get an answer for probably a week or so.
Things will likely perk up once--if--I know that I'm leaving. If I get sent to a rectory, which is possible, even probable... it'll probably be much the same, though I suspect I'd get more company than I get in Seminary, if only because a priest might be home more often. Alternatively, if I'm getting kicked out, I might end up in somebody's home. When I was home yesterday for Mother's Day, I got a lead on somewhere else I could stay. Guess there's some crazy people out there who feel sorry for laid-up seminarians... or maybe it's just seminarians in general.
In any case, I don't know what's happening. It might be wise for me to find out, but it's pretty much out of my hands. And the less I push, the longer I'll probably stay at the seminary, and I'm really not desirous of being kicked out at the moment--boring as the place is.
Yeah... boring. I was going to go grocery shopping tonight, to provide myself with lunches this week, but I realised that I can scrounge just about anything I was thinking of from the kitchen.
This was majorly depressing.
It was very silly, really, to be so depressed. Having no arms available, I'm still not sure HOW I was going to manage this. I don't think a shopping cart would have worked that well. Regardless, I was still rather crushed about the loss of a potential adventure.
That's the problem, I think. The weather's gorgeous, I've spent my day in very quiet surrounds (well, the fire alarm at Concordia was loud, but that was more irritating than fun--and it was still rather lonely), and I've got the health to do things. Put it all together and you get a Michael who is seriously itching to go out and do things... Not that I have the ability to go on long-range hikes or anything. And even if my leg was healed, and my situation otherwise identical, I'd be more likely to sit here and mope like this rather than go out and find fun.
But I want to... I guess I just don't know how. Or I can't find the right excuse to convince myself.
Monday, May 14, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment