Yeah... I've done my studying. All 17 minutes of it. With the ten or so I did last night, and the approximate 15 I'm likely to get in before the exam tomorrow, that'll make for about 40 all told. Wow! That's a lot.
And I've been to Shrek III tonight.
All the above, and it's not 9:00 yet. The key to having such a life is low expectations. My plan for tonight had been to watch TV until 9:00, then study in the time remaining before bedtime. Instead, by forfeiting TV for a real movie-theatre movie, I get ahead of the game, and get to return to my normal routine of interneting before bedtime.
Shrek was enjoyable, as expected. I didn't think it was as good as the last two. I liked the overall story better than #2, but it didn't feel like the story was tightly wound. It felt thinner, and less joke-packed. Like #2, it lacked the serious emotional punch of the first movie, and it wasn't QUITE so over the top, I thought, as #2, but I enjoyed it.
The best part about going to movies like Shrek is that they come just close enough to mythic themes to get my juices flowing, but stop short of actually getting there, due to the comedy, that I can allow my imagination run wild on its own. I got a few buds of story from the movie, improbably prompted by the movie. We'll see if it goes anywhere... most such ideas don't. If nothing else, though, it's added impetus to continue my lunch break writing.
And... this may surprise some... but watching the previews, I found myself getting a bit excited about the Nancy Drew movie due out in a few weeks. Blame it on nostalgia (my family has almost complete sets of the original Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew mysteries, and once I'd read through the former, I polished off the latter), but I think I want to go to that one.
Not too likely, though, as I'm definitely not a fool enough to mention this around the seminary, and I'm not the sort who goes to movies on his own.
Thursday, May 24, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I didn't like the third Shrek film much, either. Puss's big eyes isn't quite so "aww"-inducing the second time around.
And did they realy have to pick Justin Timberlake? Though he sounded like Elijah Wood to me, for some reason.
Post a Comment