Friday, May 04, 2007

Staying Alive...

...or, more accurately, staying busy.

Which is the story of my life at the moment.

A month ago, if you had said I'd be doing my best to keep occupied, to vary up a routine of books, internet, and television... I'd have said you were crazy. Of course, I knew nothing about the leg (13 days and counting) being broken. However, that IS the story of my life: trying to vary the routine of books, internet, and television.

Books: I've read The Children of Húrin, which I got as a token, from my family, of my "spring break" (bad, bad pun!). That led me back to the HoME, and I've ploughed through "The Book of Lost Tales", skimming the notes and commentary (one can only read those parts a few times...), and enjoying the tales proper. I also finished a book on chess that I "inherited" from Archbishop Collins (he left a tiny portion of his library behind, which was promptly pawed over by diverse seminarians). Definitely going to have to hunt up some more stuff in the near future. The HoME doesn't interest me too much, now that I'm past the Lost Tales... but we'll see.

Internet? I have kept more on top of internet news than I have in months, while remaining less inclined to post anything than ever. A large part of the latter comes as a result of not having the keyboard anywhere near a comfortable position for the majority of the time I've been doing this. That I've blogged near-daily, and managed those two posts about Purgatory on the 'Downs are not a sign of idle hands and spare time, but more a sign of dogged determination--and possibly some desperation: I NEED to express myself.

Television? There's a touch of silver in the cloud lining here, I suppose... Breaking my leg meant I've had a longer run of watching Stargate than I had hoped for. And Supernatural (which, despite it's jibbliness, is becoming addicting). And all kinds of shows I'd never watch in normal health, but which in my unhealth became necessary. Or because the remote went lost. I swear that I spent two and a half hours last Saturday afternoon watching what I think of the as the "testosterone" channel for the simple reason that the remote was lost, and I couldn't think of anything better to do (going to the TV lounge was also a longer hike back then...). It was PAINFUL to discover that the remote was under the pillow under my foot--where I'd already looked twice!!

Other than that... I sleep. I eat. I go to Mass. And... not much. I went to have more bloodwork done today.

Thankfully, tomorrow starts a weekend-long adventure of visiting family, and going home for my sister's First Communion. It'll be long, tiring, and no doubt I shall get utterly sick of explaining how I broke my leg (I already am)... but it'll be doing something, and that's what I need. Time goes faster when you're doing things, and I would love to have the next six weeks disappear. Well... not completely. I suppose there are one or two things between now and then I might want to remember. Not that any are occurring to me.

No comments: