Friday, April 20, 2007

Examinations Eve

I'm not entirely sure how I managed this... but I seem to have somehow gotten through today while being BUSIER than during the last couple, which is patently peculiar as I should be running out of stuff to occupy me as the week goes on.

But no, this morning I was up in time for Lauds, had a very bland breakfast (the kitchen staff wasn't around for breakfast, due to holidays), albeit with good conversation, read the newspaper, did the crossword... and...

Hmm....

I think that was when I went back to my room, turned on this granddaddy of a computer, and fiddled around with Facebook for the first time today. I'm still a little baffled by that site, but for the most part I don't think I'm missing important things I might want to see. Anyway, that occupied me, with other websites and Solitaire (and a quick chat with Miss Jamie), long enough to get us until 11:15 when I vested to serve at Mass.

Mass was followed by lunch, again with much good conversation, which was followed by Star Trek: The Next Generation at 1:00, which was followed by a return to my room for more Solitaire and some website hopping, until my Year-end Evaluation with Fr. Shayne around 3:30. After that it was back to my room, more Solitaire, then supper--which was order-in pizza (a gift from the seminary secretary), with the best conversation all day, then the Scrabble game that kept me occupied for most of the evening. It is definitely important that you all know that I won, thanks mainly to a seven-letter word (ROUTINE) that I managed to put down, across a triple-word score, also connecting with a word going down, thus giving me a solid, solid lead.

And that was my day. Pathetic, huh? Seriously, it's not QUITE so bad as it sounds--there are actually people here that I talk to. Living in seminary is like living somewhere between family and a social life... today was definitely heavier on the social life than usual--which seems odd. I can only assume finals are starting to dissipate, at least for the weekend.

My Year-End Evaluation went well--the gist of it is that I am welcome back next year. Although we don't exactly get "scores" or "grades", I more-or-less passed with flying colours--there were no highlighted areas I need desperately to work on. Fr. Shayne did say, off the record, and I had to completely agree, that I pretty much did miserably this second semester as the editor of the newsletter. I was on track until Reading Break, and then that fell apart, and I didn't have the wherewithal to drag my editorial team into putting it back together. But that was pretty much the worst for me, and that's fairly trivial. My grades, health, personality, prayer life, punctuality, etc, etc, all seem to be on par or decent, so I guess I'm not entirely bonkers to be here...

Undoubtedly, between now and next Friday, when I go back to Olds, I'll have some serious year-end introspection to counterbalance these blow-by-blow boring day news reports, but for now... this is it. I'm off to bed. Since I can't sleep in tomorrow, due to my first exam, I should probably get a decent night's sleep. I even managed to study for five minutes before Scrabble-- should be plenty.

No comments: