Tonight, as a seminarian of the Archdiocese of Edmonton, I was at the Basilica with the whole pile of us Edmonton seminarians, serving at the Chrism Mass. The Chrism Mass is one of the great Archdiocesan events that happens every year, when all (or nearly all) the priests in the Archdiocese gather for to receive the oil (aka "chrism") that is blessed annually. These sacramental oils are to be used throughout the year for Annointings of the Sick, Baptisms, Confirmations, and Ordinations.
The Chrism Mass occurs during Holy Week. In Rome, and some other places, it's normal to celebrate it on Thursday morning, but that's a long, long day for the priests coming from the far-flung corners of the Diocese, and here in Edmonton, Monday evening has been the norm.
Of course, there was the little matter of having no bishop. A bishop is absolutely essential to the blessing of the chrism. An Archdiocesan administrator can do many things, but this is not one of them. Of course, our new Archbishop has been appointed, but he won't be here until the end of April.
Thank you, God, for retired bishops. Archbishop Emeritus Joseph McNeil is eight years past retirement, and leads a rather cosy life doing all sorts of fun, charitable types of things, and absolutely no administration. A Chrism Mass, consequently, is right up his alley: all the fun liturgical stuff and meeting the people, and not a whit of administration.
Anyway, most of the Archdiocese's priests (within the geographical area, that is. Only thirty-some are incardinated in the diocese) were present. Among the small group of those who weren't was my pastor back home, who had the misfortune to break his leg playing hockey last week, and was told he can't say Mass for three weeks (a fine thing to be told right before Easter... as if the presbyterate wasn't spread thin already). And there were all twelve Edmonton seminarians present, who are in the Edmonton area (we have some guys who are studying farther afield), of course. I had the "oh so exalted" job of being one of the candle-bearers, which admittedly beats being an "extra".
I love big, Archdiocesan celebrations at the Basilica... the music is always superb (I think it's as much the acoustics of the Basilica as it is the choir), and there's something about the full pageantry of that many priests and a bishop (oh... and the three deacons). Really, there's nothing different about a Chrism Mass, other than the short rite of consecrating the chrism between the homily and the liturgy of the Eucharist.
Maybe, for me, it comes down to being caught up in the whole community of my church. Technically, I suppose, my home parish is my church, and the seminary community is my church... but one's diocese is also one's church, and I love the events where I can be a part of mine. I enjoyed them before I was a seminarian, but there was always this intense ache to serve on the other side of the altar. Now that I get to... I seem to be content for now. But then, let me wear my alb, and put me on display at the front of the basilica... and I tend to be a happy guy. Ah... the simple pleasures of life. Really, not that simple at all.
Monday, April 02, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment