So... I'm well on course to write those many epistles predicted for this week. Today has, so far, definitely been a no-anything day, and is well on track to continue on the same course.
For all that that's the case, however, I'm in an undefinable good mood. I really don't know why. After the whole bittersweet debate yesterday, couple with a smashing loss at Scrabble (the agony...) and a concurrent diabetic low, I was not in a chipper state of mind. I was, in fact, quite pessimistic about things in general, up to and including my vocation.
Today... I've no idea what's different. Normally, a day of restless boredom following an evening of pessimism results in, well, worse pessimism. At least that's the usual pattern for me. Nothing drives me further pessimistic than idleness.
Not the pattern today though.
Possibly my late-night walk last night had something to do with it. It was downright gorgeous walking weather, and I had a good heart-to-heart talk with my heart, and smacked myself around a little, and went to bed tired and somewhat more peaceful.
Today... I haven't really done anything. I've wandered the corridors of Newman hoping to bump into somebody--anybody. I've read the newspaper, done the crossword, got my year-end room inspection, went to the bank, got myself pressganged into music ministry for Mass.
After lunch I went on a wander. I drove to Concordia, hoping my History prof would be there--as he has my paper. Well, he wasn't, but I went exploring, and saw parts of Edmonton I've never seen before, and generally avoided all the big-route industrial sections which is my normal drive to school, and proceeded to fall in love with this city all over again.
Seriously... Edmonton is no Paris or Rome. It's not even a Vancouver or Toronto. It's not a particularly gorgeous city, as cities go, nor is this the nicest time of year; dusty everywhere, barely starting to green, and a winter's worth of litter floating around. But... I don't know why... I fell in love with the city again.
I think it's self-hypnosis to certain extent. I love Edmonton because I decided to, unconsciously. I've always known, as long as I've wanted to be a priest, that Edmonton would be my diocesan centre, and half the parishes in the diocese are here in the city. Unless I someday get promoted out of here (ie. as a bishop), this city is going to be the centre of my life. Even a country parish would, for me, be Edmonton-oriented.
Completely different topic... but as an endnote, I think I shall mention that I've spent more time thinking on my spur-of-the-moment theology, and while I still can't say WHY it seems right to me, I'm definitely thinking there's a clear sign of a priestly vocation in my identification of the bittersweet partings of death (or just the year-end) as a foretaste of Heaven. I doubt that a similar thought could come from someone whose vocation is marriage or religious orders... I'm really thinking it's tied to that priestly perspective. How, why, or if so... I'm not sure... but it FEELS right.
Tuesday, April 17, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment