Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Werewolf

With... I think... eleven Werewolf games under my belt, not including a successful stint as a Moderator, I think I can call myself a veteran of the Werewolf craze on the 'Downs, but never before has it so truly felt like a war....

My comments on the discussion thread, I think, were directed at me as much/more than they were directed at her ('Downers will know of whom I talk, I'm sure... though etiquette suggests, to my mind at least, that I not go naming names...) To sum: HOW you say something is as important, or moreso, than WHAT you say. Certainly, that post was an exercise in self-control. To try and get across in as nice, non-judgemental, and non-confrontational a manner as possible some criticisms about WHY somebody seems to provoke petty responses is not easy... although I think that I did rather better than worse.

Still, if there's one reason why I side with the side of the debate opposite, if I may be so confrontational as to say so, it's because I have some of those same tendencies in me... Seriously, she thinks that SHE can be blunt and hard-spoken? It's a matter of simple rivalry... I could be just as bad- or worse- if I ever let myself. I have a caustic tongue, when I want. Oddly enough, I was only just remembering the one talking-to I got in Grade 2 from the teacher. And, guess what, Mrs. Carlson sat me down in the hall to talk about... you guessed it... learning to moderate my tone/choice of words.

So I know how easy it is to be in her shoes. And I'm definitely stubborn enough not to back down once an argument is going. But, possibly, BECAUSE I know what it's like is why I'm so frustrated by it... if I can make the effort, and have made making the effort habit, then surely it's possible for her to TRY?

Whether I'm seeing things clearly or not, I've come to the conclusion that having somewhere OTHER than the 'Downs to rant is a good thing.

No comments: