Saturday, July 29, 2006

Car Accidents Equals Not Good!

And, as can be inferred from the title, I have just had one touch my life more. Indeed, I have just been in one.

It started innocuously enough. I went out camping at Gull Lake with a number of friends- mostly ex-coworkers (now that I'm a temporarily unemployed bum again) and their circle of friends. It was a good time indeed- even if I definitely felt like Jesus must have, supping with the sinners and tax-collectors. Anyways, three of us had to head home this afternoon, one to get back to work, one to hang out with his Mom, and I to serve as Acolyte at Saturday night Mass.

To make a long story short of it, Sara* (who was driving) had had scarcely any sleep the night before, and probably wasn't in top form. Jordan* was bugging her a little, and we were perhaps going somewhat faster than we should have been...

Going around a curve on Highway 2A, we swerved more than comfortably. Sara over-corrected, spinning us around, across the (thankfully empty) oncoming lane, into the ditch, and flipping us wrongside up.

Thankfully, no one was hurt- at all- by the accident. At least not physically. Sara was really shook up, and no wonder, seeing as she was driving- and as the vehicle didn't belong to her, but to Will*, who had stayed at the campsite. Who and/or how the accident is going to be paid for, I haven't a clue. Insurance is really hazy about other people driving your vehicle under the age of 25. So Sara is not having a good day, Jordan is not having a good day, and Michael (that's me) is... well, he's not having a good day either.

So, we're upside down, and I can't open my door, and neither can Sara. In the end, I bust open my window with my foot (and by "in the end", I mean less than a minute after we stopped), and we crawled out that way. Stupid me, though, in his haste to escape the claustrophobic atmosphere of an upside-down truck, ended up cutting himself on the glass on his left arm. The worst was a 1.5 centimetre-long (and deep, down to the muscle) cut on my left hand, below the pinkie finger. Because of this and the copious bleeding attached thereto, I was ambulanced to the hospital, where I got my first-ever stitches.

And so, here I am, rather tired, quite dirty (still haven't showered from camping), adrenally drained, with a completely numb left pinkie (anesthetic and lack of blood), with a story that's not like to be forgotten too soon. What a day!

Still, I cannot say that Jesus was doing anything for me other than granting favours today. None of us were hurt in the accident, not at all (other than the cut, but that's minimal). And rollovers can be really nasty. And I'm glad I'm the one who got (or was dumb enough) to get hurt. There's no way Sara could have handled it right then, and I don't think Jordan would have fared too well (at least with his Mom, anyway). I didn't have a problem. Okay, it hurt, but I was well-able to control it, get it stitched up, and get on with life. The last was a miracle in itself. The accident happening when it did, I totally didn't expect to make to Mass on time- but I did, perfectly. Another second, and I'd have been late.

For that matter, had my sister not been in choir at Mass, I'd have had to explain to my parents why I was hurt, and I wouldn't have made Mass on time- but she did, so my family was there, and so I was fine. I also wouldn't have been able to acolyte in my dirty, blooded clothes if I hadn't gotten an alb this week to wear- and if I hadn't brought it to the church on Wednesday, on what was basically a whim. And I couldn't have gotten into our house to grab a clean pair of shoes and car keys if I hadn't still had the set I'd taken to get into the Church the night before.

So God is good! And I won't here a word to the contrary.

Now, that's enough for now. Trying to type without my left pinkie is really frustrating.


*May or may not be a real name...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh thank God you're (relatively) safe, big bro! If something worse happened... *drops thought*

Car accidents - even just near misses - can be really traumatising. I don't think I've completely got over the one we almost had last summer, because I notice that every time a less scary yet quite similar scenario happens, especially when I'm sitting on the same seat as the last time, I can feel my heart stopping. Until I get past that I can say goodbye to any chance of me learning how to drive.

Formendacil said...

Don't learn to drive if you don't need to, sis. In Canada, with no public transit to speak of, and such distances to travel, it's pretty much necessary, but if you can get by without it, then I'd definitely say go for that.

God was very, very good to me. I owe Him one- yet again.

Anonymous said...

Funny, I was under the impression that we all owe Him everything. :)

Formendacil said...

Hence the "yet again". I suppose a bit of a smiley there would have helped, but this being a non-smiley zone, and me trying to cut back in "serious" writing...