Monday, July 10, 2006

A Stranger in an Unholy Land...

Am I the ONLY 19 year old in this country who doesn't feel the need to drink to have a good time? Or have I just ostracized myself from those who feel the same way?

THIS is when it is really irksome to have accidentally driven a wedge in your friendship (a wedge, which, seems to be gone... but which has previously been a problem): when the only people you seem to hang out with are the party animals.

Not that I have a problem with alcohol. I'll drink, no problem there. (I won't get drunk, having a rather strong abhorrence of being a fool, but I'll drink.) No, the issue is with people who's idea of a good time is to buy a 6-pack of beer, and then go drink it. (For groups of more than one person, correspondingly larger amounts of beer/other booze should probably be added.)

Quite frankly, I find that exceedingly dull.

I mean, REALLY dull.

I can have a better time at 1:00 in the morning chatting with people online. In fact, I have had a better time doing just that, several times. So maybe it's time to stop bemoaning my lack of a social life this past year, and rejoice that the people I've been talking with haven't been beer-obsessed maniacs.

Don't get me wrong, I love these friends and I like to spend time with them- and not all of last night was bad- but the desire to express a certain frustration at their lack of alternative pastimes is rather strong.

Am I the ONLY one who things that a conversation over coffee beats a conversation over beer any night?

Probably...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

No! You're not the only one. Not at all. I'm always the person in the group at the bar who, after being carded to make sure I'm over 21, proceeds to order a Diet Coke. For quite similar reasons to yours. Very, very little alcohol makes me...um, giddy. Read: one glass of wine, or two of beer. I refuse to be a drunken fool myself therefore pick the soda instead.

So I greatly prefer a trip to the coffeehouse. I find the conversation is much better that way.

Formendacil said...

Well, I've got a bit more weight to me, so I can handle three beers, without losing my mental grip (and these are Canadian beers, not American), but why drink at all if the only intention is "first one drunk wins"?

Anonymous said...

>>but why drink at all if the only intention is "first one drunk wins"?

Drinking for the purpose of getting drunk is something I've never understood. :) *shrugs*

Anonymous said...

Silly, Formy, beer is hideous. I'm told that it grows on you, but I don't *want* it to taste good. Ever. Coffee will always be better.
♥Fea

Formendacil said...

Ah, but my dear Fea...

You have never had Beer in Germany.

Honestly, I didn't care much for beer prior to last summer, but a couple of weeks in Germany cured me of that. The beer over there lacks the preservatives ours have, because they drink it in two weeks of brewing.

And, anyway, Canadian beer is better than American beer- American beer is much derided by those in this country more knowledgeable than I of such things as being "as weak as piss", to use their turn of phrase.

Anonymous said...

Being not yet 19 and not Canadian, I don't have precisely the same situation as you, but being a teenager in Wisconsin, which I would say is just about as beer-oriented as Canada, things are pretty close for me. I would say that the majority of my school spends most of its weekends in drunken partying, whereas the only times I've had alcohol have been in the presence of my parents, generally limited to homemade egg nog with rum in it on Christmas.

I don't particualrly like coffee, but I really see little point in drinking, especially since I have no trouble doing stupid things and tripping over my own feet while completely sober, so I certainly don't need to get drunk to act that way. Beside, alcohol tastes nassssty, precious. We doesn't want it to interfere with our lovely sugar, no precious.

Formendacil said...

Not a clue if you're still checking in here, Oromin... but I must ask... are you Diabetic? Or am I just reading references into sugar that should be more scientific than the health-related thought I've got?