Monday, September 04, 2006

On the Eve of School...

Well, it's been longer than the hoped-for interval between posts here, but in my defence, that is entirely the fault of the Seminary/College's internet service, which was down pretty much consistently from Tuesday through the weekend- and then I was gone over the weekend, visiting my uncle's family, until last night. So it's not MY fault.

Certainly, I would have loved to have been able to get on. With classes having started for the Theology students here at Newman, life has been rather... boring, I'd ALMOST say... for us Philosophy students who only have Orientation tomorrow, with classes on Wednesday. And, strange as it feels to say it, for the first time in my life, I'm pining to start school. I'm sure reality will set in tomorrow, and I'll be bemoaning the loss of my Bum-in-Residence status... but in the meantime I can't wait. And with only three courses (out of a normal five) for this semester, it's not even as if I'm getting dunked 100% into scholastic goodness.

In other news, though, I'm feeling rather murderous towards the computer my parents graciously gave me over the weekend. Back home 'twas the basement computer, playing second fiddle to the main one upstairs. And with the eldest of my brothers having his own computer, and me gone, there was no longer much use for it. So I was given the option of acquiring it...

Well, I always knew the thing was slow. Basically, it's always taken five minutes to warm up, has always had a vague air of being unable to run anything, but once it got going, it was usually good to go for Internet, MSN, and MSWord- pretty much the only things I was planning on using it for anyway.

All that is in the past. For all I know, it runs like a charm now... And I seem to have no way of finding out, since it refuses to fully start. It goes through the whole five minutes of excruciatingly long startup, only to restart and begin the painful process over once it starts to enable the ZoneAlarm firewall.

Anyway, the blasted thing can go explode, for all the goodwill I'm feeling toward it right now. If it's a sin to hate inanimate objects, I'll be in need of a confessor in the near future....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hahaha...in a few days' time you'll find yourself complaining about school like normal people do. Well, I hope you wouldn't have to, but I don't think life would be that unfair (to us normal people, I mean).

Sheesh, then send the computer to Mordor - that's what the place is for! :D

Your little sis

Formendacil said...

But I'm afraid, little sis, that I kind of would like to use the computer here... and it won't do me any good in Mordor.

We'll see about school... orientation today wasn't bad.

Anonymous said...

Arrgh! Zone Alarm and WinDoze compatibility issues!

Try starting in Safe Mode, which ought to keep the incompatible portion of the firewall from loading. Then uninstall Zone Alarm and restart the computer normally. That fixed the problem when my sister's computer had a similar problem with Zone Alarm which made her computer shut down as soon as she turned it on.

The downside to uninstalling is hoping that the WinDoze firewall that comes with SP2 is an actual firewall that blocks what it's supposed to...

Formendacil said...

Celuien...

Excellent advice. It's exactly the same as the advice sent from home: Safe Mode, delete, hope for the best. The computer is crap (really), so I'm not too torn up about it, but it's really nice to see that my stupid computer isn't the only one with issues. If it weren't for the incomprehensibility of trying to create Special Characters on this iMac, I'd steal it. The tech guys would never notice the trade.... Yeah. Right.