Saturday, August 26, 2006

Seminary: Post the First

Well, I've really delayed this a lot longer than I ought to have, informing the world of what life is like up here in Seminary... but the fact of the matter is that I was settling in for those first few days after Sunday, and I'm now only just back in Seminary from a silent retreat, wherein we Seminarians (and our priests) were away in a non-Internet-for-me building, since Tuesday night, being as quiet as possible (well, some of us; others were merely being quiet), and keeping generally to as holy and prayful thoughts as we might, interspersed with meals, and the Liturgy of the Hours (Lauds and Vespers), Mass, and talks from Bishop Albert LeGatt of Saskatoon. All in all, a very awesome time, and very resting...

So far, seminary has been fairly laid back. We're on a schedule, with Prayers and Mass, and meals, and whatnot, but classes don't start till Tuesday, for the Theology Students, and not until next week for us lowly Philosophy students. It's a bit interesting for me being at the bottom of the seminary bucket. Not so much in terms of social standing, but in terms of years to go until ordination. This puts me in a bit more humble a spot, ecclessiastically, than I have been accustomed to over the past few years. Back in Olds, I was pretty much Parishioner #2 in many respects, because I was always around (go homeschooling) and because I was young, bright, and interested. It's very good for me, I'm sure, to be among others of my own kind, and so learn to not be at the top of the heap at all times. Not that I'm really complaining. Coming to the Seminary is like joining the 'Downs, a sort of "Yes! There are others like me! And now I'm on of them!" sort of moment.

Anyway, a "Hello" and "Hi out there" to all the people who think I'm possibly dead. Life is great, and it's my hope to try and update this blog at least weekly. Internet access isn't a problem (contrary to my more doomier predictions), but they'll be working us, so I'm not going to be the ever-present bum I was in the old days.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

No, I didn't think you were dead. I just thought that those doomy stuff you predicted have been realised. I'm happy to hear that they're not - yet, anyway. :)

Can you throw in a little prayer for me, by the way? I'll be taking (finally) my Calculus make-up exams this Wednesday, and I really need it. Thanks, big bro.

Formendacil said...

I'll keep you in my prayers at Mass today, little sis.

And don't you forget to pray for me... we seminarians need it as much or more than most.

Anonymous said...

I know. You've got yourself a deal. ;)

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you're happy at the seminary, Formy! It sounds like you're having the same sort of experience there that I had when I visited Ave Maria University earlier this summer. It's really wonderful to be around similarly-minded people.

You should IM me sometime! My AIM screenname is Ororminuialwen and my yahoo one is lady_harriet_wimsey.

Formendacil said...

Alas, but the internet here has been down for the better part of a week (well, close...), so I've no idea when you replied, Orominy...

However, since I have neither AIM nor Yahoo (merely MSN, and that's not working on the Seminary computers, and we'll see if my computer will acquiese and work for me...) it's not exactly a pressing issue, at the moment.

Anonymous said...

It was a while ago, but I can't remember anymore, so no worries!

I've been thinking that I really should get an MSN account, since it definitely seems to be the IM medium of choice on the 'Downs. You get one by signing up for a hotmail e-mail address, right?

And oops, there's only one R in my AIM screen name. It's spelled the same way as on the 'Downs.