I could be doing something better right now, like maybe writing that AtM2 post which (because of this) is now probably going to go over the 48 hour limit a wee bit, since I'm going to be busy tomorrow with chauffeuring the Archbishop, and visiting family.
However, motivation completely fails to strike. Yes, I know sort of what I want to say, but I have very little desire to say it. And it's not even a HARD post- just basic travelling. Maybe that's the problem.
Anyway, I'm not doing anything useful. So I'm here. Blogging. Blogging about Filipinos, actually. Specifically how much I like them. In fact, were we given the option to pick a culture/race upon birth, I'd be Filipino in a second and saying goodbye to Teutonic Canadian the next.
If that sounds a little weird, it probably is. Please note the late hour here in Alberta.
Now, to explain further...
If someone had to guess what culture/race I'd be, you'd think that I'd go straight for either English or Italian. I mean, seriously... either of those is right up my alley: what with my Tolkien obsession and/or my really strong Catholicism. But nope... definitely Filipino.
Why, you ask?
Well, first of all, let me state that it is only due in part to having an adoptive Filipino sister out there... although that undoubtedly bears a large part of the responsibility. No, Filipinos in general are just very, very cool. And I would place the blame solidly on the shoulders of the Filipino priests and seminarians I've met.
Fr. Gary Lee, for example, has got to be the coolest priest I know, if only because he's a Liturgist incarnate. There's no liturgical detail too small, no papal vestment too obscure to escape his attention. Seriously, if you think I'm anal about liturgical details... And he's funny! Seriously, Fr. Gary is a born actor.
Geoffrey must share part of the blame too- even if he is Canadian born. He is definitely a product of his parent's culture. The optimism and happy spirit (and short stature) definitely come back from the Philippines. And Geoffrey is one of the cool kids in the Seminary. At least, I think so.
While I absolve my dear Filipina sister of full responsibility in the matter of my Filipino-liking, she isn't absolved of partial possibility. Seriously, if I'm having to look across the Pacific to find such a perfect-fitting little sister, then there must be something right going on there. And Nilp (zany as he is, or perhaps because he is zany) doesn't detract from the image.
Those are some of the main specific examples... but Filipinos in general are cool. Do you want to know who started the who trend (in Alberta, anyway) of hanging rosaries from car rear-view mirrors? That's right, the Filipinos. And have you ever heard of the Filipino Mafia? Me neither, before I came to Seminary... but apparently it can get you all sorts of places in Rome.
Which is not to say, amid all these accolades, that I think there are no downright evil Filipinos, or that all non-Filipinos are bad (hey! I'm one of them, remember?). Because ultimately, people are people, and while partially products of their culture, they are products of themselves and their own choices, as well.
But it is to say that I find Filipino culture to be very optimistic, very pious (as a culture in today's society, anyway...), and very attractive. Not sure I'd say the same thing about the Philippines, but the Filipinos?- Definitely.
Sunday, September 24, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
*smiles, laughs, wipes imaginary tears, and blushes like you wouldn't believe*
I'm almost tempted to link this to my blog for my Filipino friends to read. I'm sure we all need a kick like this to wake us up from our nationality-induced despair. Assuming, of course, that I'm not the only Filipina who wishes sometimes (or most of the time?) that I were anything other than Filipina...but I'm almost sure of that.
P.S. Nah...it's just really the time.
(See what I mean? *rolleyes*)
"Almost tempted"!!
As with all writers, I'm quite sure the author of this blog is somewhat egotistic, and more readers is more readers...
If you say so, big bro...here's an early Christmas gift for you, Formendacil's ego. :D
What a nice thing to say about us filipinas! :-)
Salamat!
~*~ pio
Ha...Ha... I believe you everything you've said... I got a big kick out of this... I know Gary very well....
Post a Comment