Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Me? Defend the Church?`

So Rune gave me a very interesting challenge today... and it's really got me thinking.

Basically, I was challenged to write a paper criticizing the Church. According to Rune, I've often been willing to admit that the Church has made mistakes, but I never say what they are. I'm always defending everything the Church does.

Which is a valid claim to make. As someone who really a truly believes (indeed, Knows- but that's a philosophical question that we needed get into here) that the Church is the Body of Christ on Earth, a Divinely-appointed institution, it's very easy for me to go on defending it, and I have a rather traditional Catholic reluctance to critcize.

Yet when I agree that the Church has made mistakes, and it's perfect, this isn't just placating rhetoric- but something I honestly believe. It's just that, in addition to being reluctant to criticize, the way people today treat the Church makes it very difficult to criticize parts of the Church without criticizing the whole. All too often, it seems that if a Catholic is willing to say "well, maybe this is wrong...", then the listeners will conclude "the Church is evil, and you just proved it. Get out your shotguns and we'll go kill the Pope".

So, what with being in College and everything, I'm not sure I that I want to go writing a paper on it. I have enough of those looming ahead without adding another. But the idea intrigues me, and certainly makes me think. So we'll see... Certainly, it interests me more than an essay on "The Importance of Setting in Story X"

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hehe...Rune's being quite busy, then...

Sigh.

I just don't know what to say. (For now.)

Formendacil said...

I wish you anonymous people would sign your things... Guessing which one it is, well, that can be rather difficult...

Yes, Rune keeps busy (well, I think so...), but he frets for the conversation of a "long-lost friend".

Anonymous said...

Haha. I'll leave you to guess who that was, big bro.

Wait...was I supposed to say "big bro"?

I meant he has been busy with the whole religion thing. Sort of.

Formendacil said...

See, I would have guessed you were a different Anonymous there, little sister... and actually couched my words as if my (now seen to be wrong) guess were right.

By busy, I'm sure you mean "bugs Formendacil with religionish questions". Not that I haven't thoroughly asked for it, mind...

Anonymous said...

Not really...just with having a discussion (or whatever) of religion in general with people. That's because we've sort of been talking about it, too. Sort of.

Formendacil said...

Ah, well, Rune has always been asking me questions. 'tis one of those things about being a future priest that sort of just happens... And I like the topic, so that encourages it.