So, I do still intend to have a big post or two on the whole awesomeness/terror of my mental state this past month and more, but I'm still experiencing serious internet lethargy, so we'll just put up a status update for the moment, regarding my car.
Turns out, having a Ford Contour is crap for repairs. Used transmissions are expensive and near impossible to find. Even if you do, the design of the engine makes for ridiculous man-hours of repair, and the end result is that it would have cost $4000.00 or more to repair.
I learned that yesterday morning. It was worse news seconding bad news.
Yesterday afternoon we started looking around for a new car. We looked at one in the evening, and another today, about a couple hours ago. Between the price and quality of car, they are probably about as good as I'm likely to find in the two weeks before I go back to seminary.
We've decided to buy the one we saw tonight, and come this time Wednesday, it should be mine. It's a 1997 Ford Escort, so a very similar car to my last one, though a couple years newer. It's a darkish green, well-taken care of, with 215,000 kilometres, so more than my car had--which is why, probably, it's a bit more affordable.
Mind you, affordable is a relative term for me right now. My parents are going to do what they can to help me out right now, and I should get a little (and really, little is the right word) for the Contour--if my experience in trying to get parts for it in the past and present is any indication, it should have some value, and the tires are fairly new.
So... I'll have a new car. The major heartache/headache of not having a vehicle is basically resolved. The heartache/headache of being broke is barely begun.
Friday, August 10, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment