Saturday, January 06, 2007

On the Brink of... Fanfiction?

You know I'm not really back to school proper yet by all the time I have to spend blogging. And likely enough, my choice of topic will clue you in even more.

I've been re-reading Harry Potter lately. Started over the holidays, due to a lack of other reading on hand that engaged me, and found myself pleasantly in the right mood to take them up again. It's time #3 for the new book, I think, but I've lost count on all the others. That they still entertain is a good sign-- it means I haven't overdone them yet.

Anyway, there's a whole plethora of topics I could get into (and might, if this blogging trend keeps up), but tonight I stray dangerously close to fanfiction in my ramblings.

To set the scene, I'm halfway through The Goblet of Fire right now, and I've been cogitating for a book and a half about how I really don't like Ron and Hermione getting set up, as eventually happens in Book Six.

I guess it's too late to give spoiler warnings... But anyone who's read the books at all knew it was coming, and there's still Book Seven to get rid of it. Hopefully.

I'm not sure exactly WHY I don't like Hermione and Ron as a couple. Partly, I think, it stems from the fact that Ron reminds me a LOT of my next-oldest brother, even a bit in looks (not the red hair, though). And why should that bug me?

This will sound rather peculiar, or silly, but my personal guess is that Hermione is the sort of girl that I would fancy-- possibly because there's some common ground. I'm not quite so keen on school as Hermione, but I definitely come close in terms of marks. It's only an easy first semester done thus far, but it's a straight 4.0 under the belt thus far. I'm also not much of a rule-breaker; another attractive Hermione quality.

Definitely not off on the House-Elf thing, but I worked in a library for two and a half years, and still liked the place at the end. But I digress; I'm supposed to be explaining why I don't like Ron and Hermione as a couple. Could it come down to plain old Freudian sibling jealousy? Am I irked because I'm projecting my brother's image onto Ron and projecting my ideal girlfriend image onto Hermione, and feeling shafted or something?

The sad thing is... I'm not sure it's as far out there as it sounds. Could be some truth to it.

Anyway, looking at Ron and Hermione through more objective lens, I'm still rather puzzled as to why Rowling would put them together. I can sort of see why Ron would want Hermione. But why Hermione feels the same way? Again, I'm suspicious of my motives here, but Ron is a bit of an insensitive clod.

Then there's the matter of common interests. I can't think of a lot... Sure, they're both in Gryffindor, and they're both Harry's very close friends, and going to help him with that whole "Kill Voldemort" thing... but hmmm...

See, I'm trying to picture a married Ron and Hermione, and I can't quite do it. Remove Harry, and what do these two have in common? Hermione's goals and dreams mean little to Ron. House-elfs? Muggle-wizard relations? New books in the family library? No... not seeing it. And it cuts back the other way too. Actually, other than the Chuddley Cannons, I'm having a hard time at the moment thinking of anything that would get Ron excited... but anything Ron-ish seeming doesn't generally smack of Hermione, does it?

She'd be better off with Harry.

The first time I thought that, I shrugged it off. I think that back around Book Five, when Cho was in picture. I didn't really care that much for Cho, figuring Harry simply infatuated, but I was willing to let it pass. Harry needed something to do while he waited for Ginny to grow up, anyway. I was quite fine with them eventually getting together... though when they did in Book Six, I wasn't so sure that I like it.

So... Harry and Hermione?

I'm having a tough time thinking of a psychological subtext for this one. I can't honestly say I identify with Harry that much. I'm sympathetic, yes, and I like him... but I don't project myself onto him, except maybe insofar as one identifies most with the main character, or is intended to.

To be honest, I'm not sure where this leaves Ron, and no matter how I may like him least of the trio, for artistic purposes one can't just cut him out of the picture by having his best friend steal his girlfriend. But what if Ron is the major good guy character who dies in Book Seven? To be honest, I'm not even sure that one does die... it just seems like a logical extension of the last couple books. SOMEONE has to die other than Voldemort.

I am amused to no end by myself here. This is definitely the closest to wanting to write fanfiction I've ever come. Harry Potter sits at just about the right level of fan intensity to prompt such an urge. It's not up with Tolkien (nothing is), so revered that nothing is questioned, but all is taken as dogma. On the other hand, it's intense enough that the urge is there. It's not like Narnia, where yes, I would not have brought the children back to Our World, personally, but I really don't care, it worked for the series.

Possibly Star Trek could compete... but it's so replete with alternate universes already that I need only pick one, and we're good to go. As for Star Wars, I'd just like to take a mass action on the Prequels, and wipe it all out, except for Qui-gon Jinn, Darth Maul, and Obi-wan... basically leaving us with a cool lightsabre duel and a few lines of dialogue.

One thing is certain: I will be reading Book Seven with great interest indeed.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My theory is that Snape runs a pretty high probability of dying. It's one way of resolving the contradiction of Dumbledore trusting that Snape was good with his actions at the end of book 6, which (regardless of theories that Dumbledore wanted him to do what he did) I cannot excuse.

But if he dies - particularly if he dies in defense of Harry - it's still possible to salvage his character and make him the conflicted, tortured wizard whose bad side got the better of him until he finally came around to the good side completely and died in the process.

I think it's also possible that Harry will die, since there's the whole link with Voldemort thing going on, but I'd put that as a much lower probability than another character being the unfortunate one.

I'm not really enthusiastic about the Ron/Hermione thing either. I identify pretty strongly with Hermione, especially with the *cough* enthusiasm about school and high grades. And if I were Hermione, I couldn't see myself as more than friends with Ron for the reason that they really don't seem to have much in common outside of being Harry's allies.

But I definitely don't trust that Quidditch player.

Formendacil said...

Ludo Bagman?

Or... some other Quidditch player?

I could see Snape dying. Personally, I think we're going to see that Snape made the Unbreakable Vow on Dumbledore's orders. And he HAD to kill Dumbledore because of the vow. So now he has Voldemort's complete trust, which will result in crucial help for Harry at just the right moment. But you may very well be on to something with Snape dying.

Of course, Wormtail also has to prove of crucial importance at sometime.

As I said, it'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

Anonymous said...

Viktor Krum. There's something fishy there. And I hear he's coming back in book 7.

My problem with Snape's taking the Unbreakable Vow under Dumbledore's orders is that he is still responsible for Dumbledore's death. I have an issue with intentionally killing someone good, even under orders, and even to help Harry. It's very possible that it will turn out to have been the case, but I'll be disappointed if that's the answer.

I forgot about Wormtail!

Anyway, I'm eagerly waiting for the next book too.

Formendacil said...

Hmmm... Krum does need to serve a purpose. This is a fact. He wouldn't have remained Hermione's pen pal (or more...) for no reason, and it would suit the story arc nicely for Hermione to be wrong and Ron right, after all the reverse opinions over Snape.

And as far as Snape goes... I wouldn't be PLEASED with him having done it on the Unbreakable Vow, Dumbledore-orders thing, but it looks to me like a PREDICTABLE outcome, so I'm prepared for it anyway.