Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Come, Now is the Time to Worship...

... Come, now is the time to give your heart.
Come, now is the time to worship.
Come, just as you are before your God.
Come.

One day every tongue will confess God,
One day every knee will bow.
But still the greatest treasure remains for those,
Who gladly choose you now.

*hums*

That song was a part of the background in the English video promoting the 49th Eucharistic Congress, taking place in Quebec City in June 2008. (An event I'd really like to go to, incidentally, since I'm quite certain that World Youth Day in Sydney is going to be way to expensive for me to consider the following month... and the pope'll be at both, probably.)

So it's stuck in my head. It's one my favourite religious songs (can I call it a hymn?) that is a "youth"ish song. Meaning it's not a classical hymn, but is common at church youth events. I would even go so far as to call it something of my vocational themesong. Not so much because of the words (though I could make something up there), as because of the memories. This one was big in the events and stuff in the year up to and into World Youth Day. It associate it with Eucharistic processions and praise and worship, and it is associated strongly with that surge of flame that envelopes my heart when I think about the actions I can perform once I'm a priest.

It's impossible to convey the longing I have to wear a stole and chasuble, to swing the thurible as a priest and not merely as a server, to lift high the host in the very act of consecration, to proclaim the words "this is my Body", acting in the very person of Christ. That brief moment of adoration, when the host is elevated, and has become the Body and Blood, Soul and Divinity, of Jesus Himself, is a moment in which the priest is a human monstrance (not monstrosity, monstrance. It's the name of the very ornate, usually god, sun-like thing used to expose the Blessed Sacrament for adoration). I want it so badly...

Erhem!

Yeah, I digress... basically, that song's one of the songs that triggers those feelings.

And yeah... that's about all I have to say.

No comments: