Tuesday, October 10, 2006

So it's been a while...

And what a while it's been in the meantime.

First of all, and most traumatically, I haven't driven my car farther than the ten metres from tow truck to parking stall in the past ten days or so. The darn Ford up and decided to blow or crack and gasket. And it's just my luck that it has one of the more expensive engines to replace this on. So I'm staring down the barrel of a $2000.00 or so charge to repair the engine of a not-more-than $4500.00 car.

Above and beyond the obvious disgruntlement of not having a vehicle, I spent all of last week mooching rides off the other Concordia-attending seminarians, spending far more hours on campus than I normally needed to- like five hours waiting for an afternoon class to start. On the plus side (looking for a silver lining here...), I discovered that Edmonton has a bona fide forest down by the Saskatchewan River. Not just a bunch of trees by the riverbank, I mean a fullscale "deep in the forest" type of forest here.

Anyway, over Thanksgiving (we Canadians do it BEFORE the snow starts to fly up here... well, we try...), I went home with my uncle and family, and came back with my grandparents' van, which I have until my car (darn thing) gets fixed- which is really, really a godsend.

Apart from the whole "getting a new vehicle" thingy, it was nice to be back in Olds. It was all of (I still can't believe it) seven weeks. Felt more like three. But there's no denying that my concept of "home" has migrated north. Still, it was nice to see my siblings and parents. I was fortunate that my uncle's family was visiting, though, since my youngest sister might have been clinging to my arm all weekend otherwise.

Of course, there was no lack of good food: turkey, potatoes, veggies, dressing, apple torte, pumpkin pie, nuts, red wine, white wine... and various other edibles or imbibables.

Unfortunately, I also picked up a cold, but it hasn't been too bad, as colds go, and seems to be on its way out. All the same, it marred an otherwise excellent weekend.

And so I'm back at the seminary. And in school. And having to do something about that darn car. Best of all, though, I'm back at home.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to hear from you again, big bro. I was starting to get worried, and Eowyn had to keep on telling me that land-locked Alberta does not get typhoons.

Silly Abby.

Funny, I just had a slight cold, too. This week had been too tiring, and my poor immune system suffered for it. Or maybe YOU're the cold virus, which is why you've disappeared from the internet for a while. :p

Formendacil said...

Alas, but all that turning-into-a-virus business never really worked for me.

And no, Alberta doesn't get typhoons. Actually, we don't get much in the way of natural disasters at all. The odd tornado, but the season for that's over. Yup, nothing but blizzards to look forward to for the next eight months.