Seriously, I'm in a bad mood. Blame it on a general melancholy brought on by the Duke and Duchess of Windsor's biography compounded with general irkedness regarding the whole "Community Statement" on the 'Downs.
Not that the Statement came off poorly, mind you. Celuien struck precisely the right note in posting, the answers from Aiwendil and Mormegil have been exactly what I've been wanting to hear, and there's no sign of a flame war.
That's what's bugging me.
For me, this whole Statement would never have needed become an issue if the PM I'd sent to the Barrow-Wight and the other Mods had been answered the way this thread was. But, no, I got a rather "official release" sounding reply from the Barrow-Wight, which rather than calming my uneasiness succeeded only in fanning it.
Perhaps it was arrogant of me to expect it, but I did expect a more indepth explanation. I've been a pretty good member of the 'Downs, I think. Active in most forums, never causing a real controversy (well, there was the Survivor debacle, but that was crossed wires more than controversy), high in the Rep count, high on the post count- as far as I know, active and well-thought of. Yes, it was prideful of me and I'm not particularly pleased about myself for thinking it, but I did expect a bit more of a responce. Blame it, if you will, on being a Mod with all the "ins" on Classic-Castle, and being used to having an access to the councils of the wise.
Anyway, it's over and done, but I'm rather fuming at the reasonable response provoked by a thread with a dozen and more signatures. I'm similarly fuming that such a thread would possibly never have materialised had I got that responce back in that PM. It's not arrogance, but the truth, to say that I'm the one who really mobilized that public statement for the better part of its composition.
So I'm staying wide and clear of the "Community Statement" thread. I don't trust my objectivity right now. I know I'm being petty here. But I'm irked, and it has to come out somewhere. Better here than on the thread where it'll probably come out wrong.
Meanwhile, the whole affair of my (as of now) several-hours long irked responce is perhaps rather insightful into my psychology in general. I don't like not knowing what's going on. And, as I recall fuming on the "Assigned to Mordor" thread a good eight months (or more..) ago, I don't like being patronized. The curse of being an eldest child, and a smart one, and a homeschooler, not to mention one who's generally serious, is that you don't generally get treated demeaningly. And when you do, it makes you fighting mad.
Treat me like an intelligent being and let me know what's going on. And let me have my quiet say. Give me those, and you have a happy man.
Thursday, October 19, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I think you're justified in being upset. The form letter responses (or no responses) were very aggrevating, especially considering that there was obviously more than a little bit of concern over this.
Of course, I'm also an eldest child who was homeschooled, is smart (if I do say so myself), and truly despises being patronized. So our psychologic responses might be similar.
What we need is a third test subject with similar traits to compare with, to see if this is coincidence, or something more than that.
Ugh. The whole situation irks me greatly. Now that it's posted, my cold feet/procrastination is gone, superceded by a deep-seated irritation. The 'Downs is lucky, I suppose, that it has ongoing RPGs to keep me onboard.
Ah...the joys of sample sizes and achieving statistical significance. :D
Although I've only been posting to RPGs for some time, that has previously been due to time constraints. Now I just don't feel motivated to make time for going anywhere other than the RPGs I've already made a commitment to. It's sad.
Well I am a school-schooled younger (of two)child and have an IQ tested variously between 137 and 150- odd, have a couple of degrees and a post grad certificate - and despite being born in to a family where the above is unremarkable, and I don't like being patronised either. If you are the youngest you get patronised a lot and habitude doesn't make it pleasant.
In fact as someone who has suffered from low self esteem most of their life, it particularly hurts that I have never been more patronised in my life at the one place in the world where I felt I really was held in some respect - not by all of course, but not all my rep is due to Mirth.
I too felt I deserved better - I didn't expect it but as a group I though our collective mass might make the powers think....
They don't seem to recognise how dodgy the decision making process looks from outside the inner circle. Or really acknowledge our grief. It is like Valmont in " Les liasons dangereuse" - all pleas and protests met with "It's beyond my control"...
I feel fobbed off and so fed up...
But I do sincerely appreciate what you both did. They were good deeds and if you are taking falk I am sorry ... I would have thought linking to the blog would have made clear that you were representing the group. Any praise you receive is well deserved - any blame should be shared...
Mithalwen
Can't speak for Celuien, but I haven't received any censure. Mind you, the fact that the majority of my 'Downer friends either signed the statement or stood by silent didn't hurt. On the other hand, remaining stonily silent in order to hold in the cold fury might have something to with it- I attracted no attention to myself on the 'Downs about this.
And thanks yourself- it was you that started the idea, you know.
The extent of the negative reaction I got was the set of PMs that I mentioned at the beginning of my last post. Just one person who objected, and not really flak. More like sending advice and seeming the think that we hadn't really considered things carefully enough before posting the statement.
The 'voyeuristic needs' part of Alatar's post almost made me lose my calm. I don't think I'm going to reply. At least not until I can do it calmly.
Post a Comment