Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Eternal Rest Grant Unto Leo Athanasius, O Lord...

Yes, you read that right. Leo Athanasius.

Who is Leo Athanasius, you ask? Well, Leo Athanasius is the name used by Jose and Jeoffrey in their funeral vigil practice and funeral mass practice (respectively) yesterday. That's one of the things senior seminarians have to do, practice services, the tape of which is reviewed by Fr. Stephen and various others. It's both practice for the real thing and a lesson in doing things right. And hilarious fun. I was cantor for Jose's short vigil practice, and then thurifer (incense boy) for Jeoffrey's "mass". The practice mass was too funny, with Jeoffrey messing up, of all things, the consecration prayer.

"...take and drink, this is the cup of my body" is NOT the right form. 'twould make for an invalid mass, in real life.

"gross apple juice with bits of something in it", however, was a perfectly true statement to make at communion time, however.

Paul nearly had a fit when he first heard our "deceased"'s name. Fortunately, I was prepared, having gotten over that particular bit of hilarity at the Vigil practice.

It was very good fun, to be sure. Oh, how long it's been since I last played mass. Probably eight or nine years.... I was quite young.

No comments: