And what is a Bionicle, you ask...
Well, since pretty much all of you- though not QUITE all of you- are from either my "real" life or my Barrow-Downs life, you should not have a clue what on earth I am talking about Bionicles for. If you know what they are, you'll know that they a line of LEGO products, pretty much action-figure in their style and intent, with a pretty large backstory to them. They're five years old now, and showing no signs of flagging. And they're geared at 8-12 year olds.
And I'm 19.
And as any Classic-Castler worth his old grey (injoke... sorry un-LEGOers) knows, Bionicle is generally not considered cool in an AFOL (Adult Fan of LEGO). AFOLs are supposed to be into Castles, Spaceships, Trains, or some eclectic little old theme like Rockraiders. Bionicle, simply put is meant for the youngin's, and the "Bioniclization" of the minifig themes of toys is a matter for great bemoaning by the AFOL community.
However, I must confess that I'm in a rather Bionicle mood at the moment. I can't claim to have ever made a Bionicle creation of my own, and I deplore the Bioniclization of the non-Bionicle themes... but Bionicles have a certain charm, and I have to admit to enjoying the world that the creators of Bionicle made. I'm a sucker for well-made worlds/universes, Middle-Earth having set the bar for me, and whetted my appetite beyond relief.
Finally, Bionicles are simply fun to play with.
Once there was a time when I dreaded growing up, for fear that I wouldn't be able to play with my LEGO anymore. That fear (dare I say alas?) is long gone. It's clear now that I'm never going to outgrow. If anything, the fear now is that I'll be too arthritic or something to play with them...
Meanwhile, I need to get my hands on a Toa Norik... and a McDonald's special Jala. Yes, those of you who know what I mean, I'm the red-collector in our house. With six siblings into Bionicles and six colours, a certain division of the collecting was BOUND to happen...
Tuesday, August 15, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I won't tell you that for a moment, I feared being kicked out of the silent computer room for laughing. I tried to stifle it, but, well, guess I didn't try hard enough. I won't tell you, okay?
Just wanted to say I have a vague idea about Bionicle, but I don't think Nilp and my younger brothers want(ed) to play with it. Yay for having somethng to say about LEGO!
Stop it, Lhuna. You're embarrassing me.
So Nathan... is that a thumbs up or a thumbs down to being a Bionicle fan?
And sis, I won't tell if you won't tell. ;)
Tis TGWBS Ah, for the days of lego... sorry, LEGO.
I remember discussing it with you on MSN. You said something to the effect of "My houses did not have wheels. They were realistic. You can't have a half-house half-car"
To which I reply: Caravan.
Well, Guy, I'm afraid that wheeled houses simply were never as interesting to me as fire-breathing, disk-launching, mask-wearing, monster-Toa...
Not that you're likely to know QUITE what those are.
In my own defence, though, I do recall two or three attempts at an RV, which probably resembled a house on wheels more than it did an RV.
Ah, I remember the Bionicles. My brother had quite a few of them and I even had Gali myself. I just got done spending 3 weeks running a LEGO robotics day camp for little kids. We had 16 9-13-year-ld boys and they were quite a...handful. After the camp was done we spent about 8 hours doing nothing but sorting all the legos they'd used and wondering how we were supposed to categorize the Bionicle pieces someone had donated to us. :)
Post a Comment