Monday, January 10, 2011

A New Year, a New Start?

Well, it's been over two years since I last posted on this blog... and I'd mostly forgot it existed. It's been a long time since I wanted to share my thoughts this publicly. However, this weirdly long semester break (apparently American colleges often have a whole month off in the winter--odd!) has meant a bit too much time browsing other people's blogs and such, and I'm motivated to start gushing my musings onto the Internet again. Sorry, the Internet.

The big news right now is the shooting of the Congresswoman in Arizona, and the death of six bystanders thereat. Six bystanders: three seniors, a judge (ironically appointed by a Republican president), an engaged young man, and a 9-year-old girl. It's... mind-boggling.

Meanwhile, my girlfriend just got back a bill for bloodwork tests done as a job prerequisite. While she had insurance. Hello, lots-of-money-owed. As a Canadian... I just don't get it. Seriously. Don't get it.

Calling me a left-winger will never be accurate, as long as support for abortion remains a hallmark of being left-wing, but it's abundantly clear that calling me "right wing" isn't going to work any better--especially here in the States, where even the lefties are rightier than in Canada. Perhaps it's a case of too much time in academia, and now Boston academia, with osmosis as a result...

I am aware this post is a bit disjointed... but that's the joy of having no readers--you're not responsible to anyone, right? Besides... I've got 2+ years of nothing blogged to bridge, and you'd be a fool to expect it to transition neatly.

No comments: