Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Internet Philosophy

Well, it feels like ages since I last posted here, but "ages" is really just "eight days", during which the internet was down at the seminary for about five, which made it feel like ages.

The internet being down wasn't the worst of it. For whatever reason, the internet being down had an unforeseen consequence for my computer, insofar as it seemed to go from being junk to being worse junk. I was THIS close to going out and buying a laptop on the spur of the moment, and was saved only because Friday night and Saturday was a silent Recollection, and I didn't feel justified in disappearing during it, and the fact that I don't really have the bank funds to justify it. Still, if the return of the internet on Monday hadn't somehow magically rectified whatever the problem was, I would probably have a new computer by now.

Other than the woes of the internet, life has been good. The Peripatetics, Concordia's brand new (and first) Philosophy Club, of which I am Recording Officer, had its first general meeting on Monday night, and it rocked. We had a twenty-two person turnout, more than expected, and the room was full. We had lively, balanced, engaged discussion (on why prostitution is immoral, to which only one person really disagreed about the basic assumption that it IS immoral--we just didn't all agree why), and wrapped up with lots of energy and excitement for the next installment, on Monday the 15th.

It looks like this is going to be an awesome year, at least as far as Concordia and Philosophy Club is concerned. If the meeting is any indication, Monday nights are going to be a blast, and we have special events cooking that are awesome. And then there's the Facebook group, which is halfway to wacko, but is also halfway to beating the Barrow-Downs as my most engaged-in forum.

Seminary life is also good, but in less obviously spectacular ways. I really can't define why or how except to say that I love living here, and I'm really glad to be back.

Hmm... I had all kinds of ideas while the internet was down for my usual introspective musings, but they aren't coming to me, and may be best left for another post anyway.

No comments: