Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Dreaming

I had an interesting dream last night--interesting if only because I remembered it, but interesting for quite a bit more than that, really.

I started by dreaming that I was going in to school--presumably today. Not that Concordia ended up looking anything like it does. One small corner resembled the basement in my parish church, before they renovated, but even there the resemblance was localised and fleeting. I ran into a few people from school: Phil, Sierra, Nolan; before I headed off doing something else, and Concordia shifted from being school.

I was then driving back to the same place, but it was (as I said) no longer Concordia, but apparently some sort of major event... maybe a convention or tournament. The building was still the same, except that now it was a giant parking facility, with many floors, and I was carefully trying to find a parking spot. I ended up parking way off in the annex, and then walking through the rain to whatever was going on.

For whatever reason, I lad to get something from my car after that, and since it was now sunny outside, I took the long way around with a couple of girls in ethnic garb that looked Polish. We had a discussion on the way about how our made-up world (and we knew we were both in it and that it was fictional) had a made-up Poland and Czechoslovakia and other eastern European countries, but no western ones, like France or Germany. This was occurring as we walked through a park/campgroundlike area that was surrounded by mountains. It was high summer and GORGEOUS.

Well, we hadn't made it to the car when things shifted again. I made a detour through a gazebo-looking building in the middle of the park that was actually a bar full of guntoting gansters, and emerged to discover that I was actually at a Bones Tournament, and that my team was playing as soon as I returned from the car with whatever item I was after.

I finally reached my car, which was parked in what was essentially an underground drive-in movie theatre. I say that because it was a parking lot, in a cave, with a screen playing movies on it. Somehow, I got distracted and started watching the movie, and I was reminded of my history. Apparently I'd lost my girlfriend recently after an argument, and I was quite melancholic.

Amusing as that was, I was soon jolted back to reality when I realised I was fifteen minutes late for my first game (which, interestingly, took place at 11:10, the time of my first class in real life), and since there was no way I could walk the enormous distance back in time to play, I decided to sit around near the car-cave and leave later in time for my second set (again, timed to match my class schedule). I went over to a falling-down log cabin near a clear-cut forest littered with fallen wood, where I had a run-in with my former girlfriend and some guy. I'm not sure if he was supposed to be my brother, her brother, or some random friend, but in real life he's another seminarian's brother, and I've met him about once. In the dream he had the function of trying to get us to hook up again.

Feeling melancholy, I went back to the car-cave theatre, where for whatever reason, the direction the movie screen was facing had flipped around, and saw my former girlfriend standing there watching what I thinking was a sappy movie, looking quite sad. At this point I came up behind her, hugged her, and we apparently made up.

At this point, we both realised we were late for our games, and we decided to forget it all, since we didn't really care about the tournament, and it was too late to do anything about it. We got in my car, but I don't think we were driving anywhere.

The perspective now shifted slightly, as two previously-unseen secondary characters (resembling Timon and Pumbaa in camaraderie) started talking, and I was looking at them cut-and-paste a picture together. I have no idea what that was about, but this is when it clued in to me that I was a seminarian, and having a girlfriend was NOT going to work with that... but I couldn't just dump her, having just got back together, especially since I really, really loved her.

Well, that was when Arvo Pärt's Berlinger Messe started tolling out of my alarm clock, waking me up. And let me tell you, I have never been so relieved as finding that I didn't actually have a girlfriend I needed either to dump or dump the seminary for.

I must say that it really had me thinking for most of meditation what, if anything, this dream means. I certainly don't take it as a sign of God's intentions, but it stems from my subconscious... and where did my subconscious get that from? Why is this figuring into my dream landscape?

Also really odd is the fact that my "girlfriend" is actually a classmate at school, but not someone I can really claim to know. Well enough to know her name, and say hello in the halls, but that's about it. It'll be odd if I run into her at Concordia this afternoon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

And here I was thinking all the time you were talking about Sarah. :D

So...did you run into her?

Formendacil said...

Saw her--didn't stop, talk, or make contact. The memory of the dream's impact has faded, so it's not problematic anymore. I think.