For the first time in about four weeks or so, I had a weekend that I didn't approach dreading, and which I can actually say I enjoyed. Or, in other words, for the first time in four weeks I wasn't bored stiff all weekend. It really does help to plan ahead. Half the problem on past weekends was that by the time I thought about the fact that I was going to be bored silly... it was sometime Saturday morning, and I was drifting into extreme lethargy--that point of being so bored and cranky that you won't do anything but moan about it.
This weekend, however, I planned ahead Friday afternoon and booked myself for a couple considerable chunks of the weekend.
Saturday morning I got up nice and late, late enough that I really just had time to get myself running before it was off to my uncle's for the afternoon. I didn't actually do much there during the afternoon... I read the newspaper, had lunch, chatted a bit with my uncle, and played with my five-year-old cousin, and was then back at the seminary just before supper.
Supper was followed by two episodes of the Simpsons, since it was far too early to retire to my room and sit at the Internet, and that meant I was on site when everyone turned up to watch the Senators game. It was a good game, with the Senators winning 5-3, and fortunately not getting kicked out of the Stanley Cup finals... but they've got a way to go yet.
Anyway, this meant it was nearly 10:00 before I was back in my room, which meant I didn't spend all evening on the internet, but rather, I had a good time hobnobbing with my fellow seminarians.
Today I got up at 9:30, which gave me just enough time to get going and have brunch before taking off to 11:00 Mass, and with the inclusion of baptisms and First Communions at Mass, I was back at seminary just in time to take off again at 12:30, to spend the afternoon doing not much of anything at Sierra's. And by "not much of anything" I mean a fair bit of talking, ingesting cold beverages/ice cream/dandelion leaves, and sunburning my right forearm (it is a well-toasted red on the top, and a paisley white on the underside).
Then it was back to the seminary just in time for supper, to be eaten in the TV room watching Stargate Atlantis. And then back here for an evening of internetting... and maybe--maybe!--some writing. That has been my one failure this weekend, to in any way get myself to do some writing. Ah well... at least I can look back on this weekend at not shudder at the memory of "pleading to Heaven for relief" boredom.
Actually, it's kind of funny that such is the case, since I really didn't do anything either this afternoon or yesterday afternoon. In both cases, I pretty much just sat around and did nothing. It's amazing what a difference a change in scenery and company makes.
Sunday, June 03, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I mainly read/watched Harry Potter all weekend. The most active I got was doing my laundry and making myself waffles which turned into pancakes.
Post a Comment