Nothing major to report regarding Valentine's Day. Or, rather, there's NOTHING to report. Sts. Cyril and Methodius had a very quiet feast day (since the restructuring of the liturgical calendar, and possibly longer, St. Valentine hasn't had a formal feast. Instead, we celebrate the Apostles to the Slavs, who with St. Benedict are the Patron Saints of Europe. Amazing guys, I might add. They wrote the Slavonic alphabet).
Yesterday's blues are long gone. Nothing a trip to Boston Pizza couldn't cure--to say nothing of a good night's sleep. I dressed all in black for school today. As clerically as possible, to put it another way. Looked rather sharp too, I might add, if not quite priestly. Call it a psychological protest of the celibate on a day devoted to romantic relationships.
On a totally different topic, I got to thinking about politeness today. To set the state, at the start of religion class, I was offered some of those cinnamon-flavoured heart-shaped candy. I declined. As the test was starting, I didn't explain further. I doubt it was a big issue one way or another.
However, perhaps demonstrating how little the test concerned me, I got to thinking. What should one do in such situations, when offered gum or candy (typically, that's what it would be). Do people find it rude when you refuse? Do they find you standoffish?
I wonder mainly because I generally refuse. Being diabetic has a lot to do with it, but I were to be perfectly honest, I'd say that it's more of a justification than a reason for refusing. It should be a reason--I certainly need to think more about watching my diet. But more often it's simply "I don't want any".
Now, obviously this isn't something I worry about much. But I had a spare five minutes today, so I did. Would the polite thing be to just accept the offer, and so build a bond of generosity/acceptance, and connect with the human network?
Or do people simply not care... as would be the case if it were me offering?
Yeah, I should be busier during Midterms week, I know...
Wednesday, February 14, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Well, it would be a lot ruder if you accepted the candy and then threw it away. So I think you're fine. =P
And I wore black today too, although that's not really unusual.
Yes, but did you wear black trousers, shirt, tie, sweater, socks, and shoes? It's the combination of pure black that's unusual for me. I rarely, if ever, wear a monochrome tie the same colour as my shirt. It's not the colour that is unusual, but the colour --alone-- in contrast to my normal garb.
I don't think it's rude. I certainly wouldn't be offended if I offered gum or whatnot to someone and they declined.
Then again, I routinely decline gum (except on airplane flights) - I just don't like it.
No, it's not at all rude!
Heh, I wore grey, dark green, and dark blue yesterday. I just couldn't be bothered to dress festively early in the morning
No, the shirt had a white collar, and some parts that were striped black-and-white. You win the gloom contest. ^_^
Gloom? Miss Jamie, it was not gloom, it was dramatic flair. Actors wear black, you know, when performing in non-costume garb. It focuses attention on the face and hands, which are the most dramatic parts of the body.
And, on me anyway, it seems to look good... Call me facetious, but I like having discovered a set of clothes that I think looks not merely respectable, but decent. It also is encouraging when one considers that my wardrobe from ordination onward will be one of black, almost solely. The only way to get out of black, as a priest, while remaining a priest, is to become pope. Not going to happen.
I usually decline candy and gum offers, myself. I never really thought about the politeness of it, but I think it's okay anyway.
And I'm lovin' that clothing statement. It speaks and has good function. :-D
I wore red.... :-P
Post a Comment