Sunday, May 18, 2008

Glorious Summer

As usual, it's been a little while since I've posted here, but that should definitely not be taken as a sign that I've been away from the internet of late. Quite the contrary: I have, in fact, been haunting it daily, and with an intensity not seen since before I went away to seminary. From my point of view, it's really be quite awesome, finally getting back into the Classic-Castle routine, posting frequently on the 'Downs, and getting to chat with old friends not talked to in quite some time.

Last summer, when I moved out of the seminary, I had no internet for two months, and it was a good thing. I was so tired after breaking my leg, and in that first month before I moved out, I spent a LOT of time online, and I was running around on the weekends, and I hadn't gotten over the exhaustion of the school year. As a result, I really needed and really enjoyed having such a peaceful two months.

This year, on the other hand, I've got energy and I want to catch up on all the fun I've missed while school's been keeping me busy. I want to keep in touch, and keep visible, and have fun. Last summer, quiet was necessary. This summer, I'm really feeling how long two years is, and how little I did last summer. Not so, this year. This year, I'm going to travel!

In another couple weeks, I'm off to Manitoba on a road trip with some of the seminarians to attend a double-ordination in Winnipeg. Now, I realise that Winnipeg is probably about as far from exotic as you can get, but being on the road and somewhere I've never been, and out with the seminary family is fun! I'm quite looking forward to it.

Three weeks or so after that, I'm flying off to Quebec City for a week, for the International Eucharistic Congress. This, it is will be awesome! 100,000+ Catholics (probably) gathering from across the globe to celebrate the central-most aspect of our faith together--and here in our own country! Furthermore, I'll get to see a whole different part of the continent I've never set foot on, I'll get to see the North American city with the longest history, and get to meet Catholics, be they bishops, priests, seminarians, religious, laypeople, from everywhere.

Two weeks or so after that, I'm in the process of planning a trip down to the States. My first meeting with a BDer (well, unless I randomly meet Farael in Winnipeg...)! My first trip to the States in 12 years! And a long cry from any long weekend last summer...

As of right now, there are no big plans for July... although the weekend after the States is a major ordination here in Edmonton (which I'll be present for), and I might even try getting to Victoria, B.C. in late July for Stephen's diaconal ordination. The first weekend of August is Bones (which reminds me... we're a man short... must think about that...). End of August is Maurice's presbyteral ordination in Peace River, so I'll probably head up for that, and then the seminary year starts. That should be the end of any excitement, but I've been toying with the idea of going to Seattle for BrickCon over the October Long Weekend. I'm having doubts, though...

Still, that's a full enough summer, and I've also got to consider, at the end of it, getting things in motion for the Philosophy Club next fall. I'm somewhat terrified at the prospect of being the one most responsible for getting that going, but I've got good help and I'm excited. All that I REALLY have to make sure happens is that we all actually get together and plan some stuff. The rest will hopefully follow inertially.

There is a very real possibility that I will be internetless for most of the summer, once again, but I'm not too torn up about that. I can find internet on weekends or evenings if I'm willing to strike out of the home territory a little, and with as much stuff as I've got going on, it probably won't be a bad thing to have a little more free time. After all, I'm working through all this (which is why most of my trips are weekenders). I mean, I may have a really good job that will let me have time off whenever, but I intend to work as much as possible, and thus to earn a corresponding amount. Besides, I really enjoy working in the Archives, and not only do I have a decent raise over what I made last year, but I'll also be the best-placed seminarian in the country to observe the construction of the new seminary, right out of my window.

Yes, it's going to be an awesome summer, and I'm absolutely stoked about it! Just don't expect updates... I'd like to... but I can't promise.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So you are meeting with Brinniel? Maybe you could arrange to meet with Farael, too, if you can contact him. :)

Formendacil said...

Yes, that's the plan--Brinniel that is. I've thought about Farael, but the current plan is not for me to be driving to Winnipeg, but to catch a ride, which limits my mobility (and possibly my time). Not that I wouldn't want to.