Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Two Down, Six to Go

Quite a few times it has occurred to me in the last week or two that "hey! That would probably be a good thing to put down on the blog"--but I've never been in the mood to sit down here and do it. Now I do feel like blogging... and I've forgotten most of what it has occurred to me to say, and I've got nothing else new.

Hmmm...

I do seem to recall thinking that I should maybe note how odd it was going in to school yesterday. It's the second final I've had, and other than my final on Friday, it's the first time I've been to Concordia since the last day of classes, and it's definitely the first day I've had to hang out and talk with a large number of people I know (I went in early to hand in a take-home exam, and stayed after the exam for the fun of it. I had nothing better to do). It was kind of odd stepping back into the Concordia social scene, since I spent the last few days mixed in with completely different crowds.

As people might know from elsewhere, I went home for the weekend (foolishly), and naturally being in Olds brings back memories of a wholly different time, even though I didn't spend time with anyone other than family while I was there. Thoughts of old times were really reinforced on Monday night when, for the first time in months, I had some long chats online. One was with Nathan, bringing back all sorts of dusty memories of Classic-Castle and my roleplaying heyday. Then there was Jamie, who maybe as an individual doesn't particularly recall the old glory days of chatting with Barrow-downers, but that's still how I know her. And then, of all strange things to happen, I was added by the phantom on MSN, and had my first lengthy chat with a new Barrow-downer in over a year. Coupled with all the extra time I've had due to finals (let's face it, I'm not much of a crammer), I've spent more time on the 'Downs than any other week in the past eight months, and I've been appointed Administrator of the 'Downs Facebook group; all of which means I've been transported back to a very different time when I spent a lot more hours on Barrow-downs related activities.

And then I went to school yesterday, and hanging out with all these people I've come to know this year seemed really surreal. It felt pretty good, knowing I've come to know all these people, and unlike when classes was ending there was no foreboding sense of impending doom about the end of the semester, but there was a rather weird feeling that this couldn't be real... that surely my real social life had to involve a keyboard and text on a screen.

So... yeah... kind of odd.



I think I also wanted to mention how it struck me powerfully that I'll be down two whole years of seminary in less than 48 hours, but I talk enough about how fast time always seems to be that I'll let it pass, except to say: "Wow! Two years! Wow!"

3 comments:

Nathan said...

This is the time of year that memories always flood back to me, what with the warming weather and school drawing to a close for the summer. It's bittersweet, really, in more ways than one (but at this hour, I hope you won't mind that I don't expound :-P).

By the way, congratulations on getting two years under your belt! Time sure does fly, doesn't it?

Anonymous said...

I suggested this to Jay before: if it bothers you that much, you might want to list down the things you want to blog about while you don't have the time for it. Sure, it's not as fun writing about it anymore, but it might get a bit of weight off your shoulders if you get to write a blog post.

These weeks I find myself being reacquainted with the Downs, too, especially with joining the Facebook group. (And I did get to chat with you and the phantom - at the same time, actually.) It was rather odd, catching myself thinking about Downs-related stuff during mental lulls, when for the longest time I've been stuck with RL thoughts. It was pleasant, but rather sad, because I know in a little over a month I won't have the luxury of attending to my online social life much again.

Of course, every so often I still need to go to school, and then it sinks deeper in that there's really no way I can be satisfied with both my RL and online lives. There's just an inevitable inverse relationship between the two.

Oh, I got my NMAT results today. Goodness, I can't believe it: I have one last year to pull my average up, and then there are med school applications to think about, too. After all I've been through there are still moments when I can hardly feel I'm already in fourth year. I feel...so young to feel so old. :D

Sorry for almost creating my own blog post here, big bro. God bless you in your remaining final exams. :D (And maybe you could influence me with your not being a crammer...)

Anonymous said...

Yes time flies doesn't it? Congratulations on completing two years of seminary studies. =]