Friday, November 17, 2006

"Mere Catholicism"

My title above, obviously, paraphrases the title of C.S. Lewis's famous book Mere Christianity. It seems appropriate in light of the weekend's hot topic, here at Newman Theological College: the C.S. Lewis symposium going on. Lewis, do not forget, was not Catholic, but the College is, the main speaker (Joseph Pierce) is, and the topic of tomorrow morning's talk is going to be on Lewis's orthodoxy-- "More than Mere Christianity".

It looks like it's going to be really good. I was waffling before about whether or not I'd go tomorrow (tonight was mandatory for us Seminarians), but it's a sure thing now. Mr. Pierce (apparently, he's not a doctor, professor, or anything similar) is a good speaker, and he knows his stuff. And with the whole Catholic connection, his talk is literally peppered with Tolkien references. I can't honestly say I'm learning anything new, but it's been really good thus far, and new thoughts float around in my head excitedly.

Perhaps because Mr. Pierce is a Briton, and not an American, his view on Lewis (and Tolkien, since the talk was really about both tonight) seems a good deal less legendary or ethereal than most modern literature would make out. His presentation of Lewis's view on Mythology and Philosophy (derived greatly from Tolkien) is a presentation, it feels, of what Lewis actually thought, rather than a Pentacostal or Evangelical modern American reworking.

Anyway, I'm really enjoying it, even if I'm not learning anything. It's almost enough to make me forget that I'm starting to get late-term cabin fever. I'm not sick of the seminarians yet, but I leap at every chance to get out of the seminary. Which reminds me-- I need to find something to do on Sunday.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've met Joseph Pierce! He was one of the two teachers at the summer progam I went to at Ave Maria University this year (the other teacher was Fr. Joseph Fessio, the head of St. Ignatius press) this year. He was really a very good teacher. I wish I'd gotten to see this sooner (I accidentally deleted all my bookmarks recently , so I'm in the process of rebuilding them), because I would of told you to try to hear the story of his conversion, if you could...if you didn't get to hear it, let me just say that it's AMAZING! He used to be in an anti-Catholic white supremacist organization, and he converted while in jail for inciting violience in Northern Ireland, because someone sent him a rosary in the mail. And he is amazingly knowledgable about Tolkien and Lewis too...one of the main reasons I'm applying to Ave Maria (since they don't have a French major) is him.

I find it really cool that you got to meet someone I've also met...It makes it seem more like we've actually met too! :)

Formendacil said...

That is really, really cool!

He did speak briefly on the story of his conversion, and I agree that it sounded like an amazing experience. He was very professional, though, in going overboard in talking about his personal experiences, but only when they were revelant to the topic. So many speakers with conversion stories go overboard in talking about themselves...

This is really cool... do you realise we can converse about how somebody SOUNDS? I mean, his almost-Australian-sounding-with-a-touch-of-a-lisp accent?

Too cool.

Anonymous said...

I know, it's so awesome! You know, his accent was almost identical to that of a guy on my robotics team--this guy was born and raised in the Midwest, but has a speech impediment due to a weak tongue from not learning how to swallow properly until a few years ago. It's weird how peple with such completely different backgrounds can have such similar voices.

Formendacil said...

Well, it helps that he's British... That accent isn't so much Aussie/Kiwi in origin as it is rural English- the Englishmen who aren't Londoners. Apparently (taking someone else's word here), it's also a large influence on the Southern American drawl.

But definitely people sound alike... With the exception of Rune, all of you voice-posting LJers have sounded like someone that I ought to or could know.