"I believe in God".
Just a quick post, while I'm home for the long weekend (Canada Day, July 1st is a statutory holiday), amid a whirlwind visit involving a cousin's wedding, a big good-bye at the church, and all the stuff going on in catching up with a big, busy family.
Life is good. My job is great, my leg is getting better (less than two weeks of crutches to go), and the living arrangement at the rectory is awesome.
From now until August there will likely be little or no time online by Yours Truly, since he will not be home in that time, and I've not found any internet "accomodations" in Edmonton. Furthermore, I'm actually quite enjoying the enforced sabbatical from time online. True, I miss having the opportunity to keep up with people and their lives, but it's really nice to to spend hours a day staring at a screen, wasting time that could be spent on far more profitable pursuits. I've been writing, and reading, more since I moved, and I feel like life is good.
Now--why the statement heading this post? Basically, because of Davem's recent post on LJ.
I believe in God, the Father almighty, creator of Heaven and Earth.
I believe in JESUS Christ, His only son, our Lord. He was conceived by the power of the Holy Spirit, and born of the Virgin Mary. He suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died, and was buried. He descended to the Dead, and on the third day He rose again. He ascended into Heaven, and is seated at the right hand of the Father. He will come again to judge the living and the dead.
I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy, catholic church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and life everlasting.
I furthermore believe in the apostolic succession of the bishops, the authority of the Pope the Vicar of Christ, and the teaching of the Magisterium. I believe in the reality of Christ's presence in the Eucharist: body and blood, soul and divinity. I believe in the sanctity of marriage, in its exclusivity to the relationship of one man and one woman for life. I believe in the sanctity of human life, in all its stages.
I believe that with the conviction of the faith given me by my parents and grandparents as a child, the faith imparted by the reason of philosophers great and small, the faith nurtured by experiences I can only call touching the Divine, and by the example and faith of dozens or hundreds of those I have seen.
This faith is not a childish fantasy. Nor am I an ignoramus led into delusion. I am proud to be "the Catholic one" in my online communties, and I confess that I am a sinner--a proud, lazy, guilty man who is saved but by the Grace of God who accepts what little good I can do as good enough for Him. I am an imperfect human, an imperfect Christian.
I am not a homicidal maniac.
I am not a bigoted redneck.
And I am better than I would be if I had no faith.
If you don't like me, you'd best leave me alone, because I'm going to change.
Monday, July 02, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Tis TGWBS
'If you don't like me, you'd best leave me alone, because I'm going to change.'
Sounds frightening. Into what?
How do you know you are a better person ..where is the control? Have youever not had faith?
Personally I think I am a better person without mine... my morality hasn't changed I have merely lost the ulterior motive...
"And I am better than I would be if I had no faith."
I know what you're saying there. I went through a time once where I practically gave up my faith. What I became during that time was... well, not me. Only after I embraced the Lord again did my condition improve.
By the way, long time no see! I've been gone doing various things, but I'm finally back and reading the blogs I used to enjoy (I never stopped writing). Glad to "see" you again!
Amen! (Excluding from that statement, of course, the strictly Catholic beliefs. ;) )
Post a Comment